There are many ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day and one is to create a custom canvas art with a sweet sentiment that will be treasured forever. Snap up this DIY with heart from paintress extraordinaire, Debbie Hayes of My Patch of Blue Sky.
- Modern Masters Pearl White Metallic Paint
- Modern Masters Texture Effects
- One Gallery-wrapped style canvas, any size, pre-primed
- One Romantic Valentine’s Day phrase like ours, “If I had to live my life again, I’d find you sooner.” An online search reveals lots of options, or write your own.
- Painter’s Tape, Paint Brush, Small Trowel or Palette Knife, Container, and Sandpaper
I created my quote on a Cricut, using a heavy, sticky-backed material, then cut and pasted them to fit my canvas. You can also use a mylar or vinyl stencil. Arrange the wording on top of the canvas, then tape into place. Cut if necessary to get the look you look you like. Burnish the words so they fit tight to the canvas to prevent leakage underneath. An old credit card will work.
Use a palette knife to gently smooth a thick, even coat of Texture Effects over the words. Make sure that all the words are covered evenly. While drying, gently remove the lettering and tape. You may need to use a toothpick or something sharp to remove the centers of letters like “o”.
Once completely dry, lightly sand the letters evenly. Paint two coats of Pearl White Metallic Paint over the letters and the canvas as well. The Texture Effects is self-priming so this is easy to do over the raised lettering. Let dry completely. Display on a mantle, bookshelf, or anywhere where a bit of dramatic lighting shows off the sentiment to your loved one.